qpid-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Greig" <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: QPID Management Update
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 20:33:47 GMT
2008/10/1 Ted Ross <tross@redhat.com>:

> I mentioned the possibility of a JMX => QMF bridge (the opposite of QMan)
> which will make JMX-manageable apps accessible through QMF.  This is a
> possible strategy for the Java broker.

I think that would be a good approach.

>> Is SNMP on your roadmap or integration with widely use enterprise
>> monitoring packages such as IBM Tivoli or Microsoft SCOM?
>>
> SNMP is not on *my* road map currently.  I think that an SNMP bridge
> (similar to the JMX one) would be very useful.  One interesting aspect is
> that QMF and JMX are self-describing whereas SNMP is not.  There would need
> to be a way to generate SNMP MIBs from QMF/JMX schemata.  Or alternatively a
> specification of a mapping from QMF/JMX to a MIB.

Yes, if I put my corporate hat on I think that Qpid management needs
to be able to integrate (somehow) with widely used enterprise
monitoring tools - SCOM, Tivoli etc. In my current organisation,
software (particularly infrastructure components like messaging) are
very hard to introduce if they don't integrate with the established
monitoring infrastructure.

> One thing that I am thinking about is generating Syslog events from QMF
> events.

Yes, that would be a good idea since all (that I have seen) enterprise
monitoring tools can leverage syslog.

RG