qpid-proton mailing list archives

From dcjohns41 <david.johns...@honeywell.com>
Subject Minimizing the Proton Engine/Messenger RAM Footprint for embedded devices
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2014 15:55:56 GMT
Hello Proton Experts,

I am new to this mailing list and use of the Proton system, so please do not
get offended if I say something naïve.

My team is attempting to use the Proton-C Engine/Messenger package on a
small footprint embedded device. We are attempting to send sensor
information and receive data to/from the MS Azure Service Bus
infrastructure.  We are attempting to use the QPid Proton 0.6 release.  The
system is using C code on an ARM-xxx processor.

Our configuration has very limited RAM and have been attempting to reduce
the run-time requirement to fit in <50Kb or so.  Our data needs are not very
big and normally would fit in <1024 bytes of payload.

We have trimmed the Proton input/output buffers down from 16KB to smaller
values.  Have attempted to disable logging and anything else we could to get
the footprint smaller.  At the moment we have the RAM consumption near
43Kbytes.  However, once we start attempting to make socket connections, we
see additional RAM allocations that push over the 50KB limit.

My first question is- has this been done on other systems where the RAM is
very limited?  If yes, is that example available for us to review?

Is it feasible to limit some of the functions/options in the library to at
least get basic functionality of AMQP 1.0 to Azure/Service Bus running?  Our
expectation is that we need to have at least one transmit link and one
receive link to pre-defined topics on the Service Bus side.

Ultimately we need to have AMQPS (via TLS).  But in the short term we are
just attempting to get basic communication running.

Thanks for any sage advice you may have.  It will certainly be appreciated!

Dave Johnson