qpid-proton mailing list archives

From "Darryl L. Pierce" <dpie...@redhat.com>
Subject Non-standard install directories for dynamic languages
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:49:40 GMT
I have a JIRA in my queue [1] that relates to a few things regarding
installation directories. I spoke with Gordon briefly this morning
regarding this issue, which (correct me if I'm wrong) boils down to how
the code is installed when a non-standard location is targeted. IOW, if
you configure your environment with:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/some/path .

the dynamic languages (Python, Ruby, Perl) don't use this path. That is
because the CMake environment asks each language for the absolute path
to where their extensions are to be installed and does not prefix that.

This last part is due to a few things, not the least of which is that
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is never empty (it's default is "/usr/local")
unless explicitly blanked on the commandline. So we shouldn't always
prepend it to the dynamic languages.

Possible solutions to this problem are:

1) provide a command line switch when setting up the build environment
   that toggles prepending CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to the language binding
   paths, or

2) allow each language binding path to be specified on the command line,
   overriding what the languages themselves return, or

3) do nothing special.

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-342
Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/