qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Keith W <keith.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the intended process to publish trunk docbooks to the Qpid website?
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:46:50 GMT
Hi Justin

I tested your extensions to site's make gen-release (which you
committed at rev 1556392) on an Ubuntu 12  box (like Apache's
buildbots)  with the dependencies described in the README and
encountered no difficulties.  The site trunk documentation renders
correctly.

I have a couple of remaining questions:

1. For buildbot integration we will need a mechanism for buildbot to
determine if there is work to be done (i.e. a test before it invokes
make gen-release RELEASE=trunk && make render).
Most CI systems I have seen use the result of an 'svn update' and only
go on to call the later build steps if there were changes, but as the
gen-release target currently takes responsibility for the svn
operation, this approach won't fit.

At the moment I think the trigger will need to use a command such as
'svn info http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/trunk/qpid
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/proton/trunk' and trigger the
build only if the reported revision has increased since the previous
buildbot invocation.  Did you have any thoughts?

2. scripts/gen-release-books hardcodes a list of books.  The list of
books we will want to
publish will vary over time (for instance I expect we will have a book
for the JMS AMQP 1.0 client).  Is there a way the scripts can change
to accommodate this requirement?  Presumably, the scripts need to
remain compatible with previous releases in order to be able to
republish documentation from older releases.

I don't yet understand the mechanics of how the buildbot performs the
svn commit (which user is used to perform the commit etc).  I'll find
out.

Thanks in advance, Keith.