qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Null Pointer exception in Qpid Java CLient 0.24
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2013 23:44:17 GMT
The 0-9-1 client path (which you are using by connecting to RabbitMQ) only
understands the 'BindingURL' (BURL) destination syntax, and the client
defaults to using the 'Address' (ADDR) syntax. When using the
"destination.<lookupName> = <destination string>" format in the properties
file, if you dont specify a prefix to the destination string the client
will assume it is the default, i.e ADDR. For the first, you specified a
BURL prefix. For the other two examples where you didnt specify any prefix
which means it used the ADDR syntax, which as mentioned earlier in the
thread is why it didn't work.

You either have to specify the BURL prefix in your desintation strings, or
you can change the default client-wide by setting a system property
qpid.dest_syntax to the value BURL, i.e -Dqpid.dest_syntax=BURL, which
would mean you wont need to specify it in the properties when using the
"destination." definitions.

Depending on what you are actually trying to do you could use simpler
"queue." and "topic." defiitions (which are treated as BURLs) in the
properties. E.g:

queue.queueLookupName = queuename
This would cause the client to use a (durable) queue called 'queuename'
bound to the 'amq.direct' exchange with 'queuename' as the binding key.

topic.topicLookupName = topicname
This would cause the client to use an auto-delete temporary queue called
tmp_<generated segment> bound to the 'amq.topic' exchange with 'topicname'
as the binding key (which might include a subscription pattern).

It is probably worth noting that the 0-9-1 client path has historically
been rather fixed in its use of the amq.direct exchange for queues, and the
amq.topic exchange for topics.

If you still can't get things working as you would like, in order to help
us advise you it would be good if you outlined what messaging topology you
are actually trying to achieve.

Robbie