qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Review Request 14361: QPID-5197: Remove obsolete --cluster-durable/persistLastNode options
Date Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:37:50 GMT
Hey Alan,
I finally got round to playing with this - I noticed it was part of the
mammoth svn update I did this morning. It all looks fine to me. As I say
thanks for being so thorough about tidying up everything that refers to
this.

One very minor thing struck me the other evening after I'd thought about
this change - it's not all that uncommon for people to be running
systems that may contain a "mixed economy" of  broker versions. It's
clearly not a huge deal as the versions of the tools deployed with the
earlier instances with work with those and 0.25+ but the opposite isn't
true for the case of cluster-durable and that might cause some confusion.

I only note this as I've got entertaining memories of the time when I
has a mixture of 0.8 and 0.18 in a very large federated topology.
Between those versions things had been updated to use pure QMF method
invocation for adding/deleting things so the 0.18 tools failed miserably
on the 0.8 brokers but the 0.8 tools still worked with the 0.18 brokers
- thank goodness :-D . Fortunately I'm pretty familiar with QMF ;-) so I
clocked the issue pretty much much immediately (when I found out about
it!) but the poor sod who's job was actually to manage the system was
tearing his hair out for ages until he thought to mention his pain to me.

I guess It's a challenge trying to keep things abreast (and tidy) with
improvements whilst also keeping older/mixed systems running and I don't
have any good answers myself (just saying "upgrade" doesn't cut it in an
Enterprise environment). Documenting the change *might* work, but in
this case where on earth would one put it where someone who may get
bitten by this change would find it?

I've got no real issues myself, but thought it was worth mentioning it
as a bit of food for thought in case someone has any bright ideas how to
manage this sort of scenario (it's bound to crop up again).

Cheers,
Frase