qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: POLL: what to do with dev list
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:12:49 GMT
[X] 2. Keep the dev list but only for traffic not relevant to users of the
code

On 23 August 2013 17:07, Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemmell@gmail.com> wrote:

> The 'our users are developers' thing is true of many (most?) of the
> projects at the ASF, however they still typically have separate user and
> dev lists. I think the real issue here is how we use them rather than
> whether they both exist.

Exactly...  To be honest I don't think it is the fact that we have 2
mailing lists that is the primary issue that we need to work on... much
more of an issue to my mind is the mindset of us - the committers - in
terms of our use of lists and our engagement with the user community.
Gordon shows us all up here with his continued exemplary display on the
users list... continually responding to and addressing questions that occur
there.  I think if all of us were to follow his example and to act in more
inclusive ways in our discussion of future roadmaps / feature development,
etc... then we would be providing a much better service for our users than
simply adding all the JIRA notifications and code review requests to the
users list (which would seem to me to be the primary result of closing the
dev list and moving its traffic to users).

-- Rob