qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: a request regarding crossposting
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:33:47 GMT
On 08/23/2013 08:34 AM, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 08/23/2013 11:28 AM, Justin Ross wrote:
>> I'm in favor of having a single list for discussion, for users and
>> developers; see [1].  I was simply pointing out that we're liable to
>> leave out some people by sending messages only to the user list.
>>
>> Indeed, I think overloading the user list to be our general discussion
>> list is going to be a source of confusion.  I've looked at how other
>> Apache projects describe their user and dev lists, and none that I can
>> find propose anything like this.
>>
>> Anyhow, the cross-posting problem is quite real.  I agree very much
>> about that.  It's just that not cross posting, because we still have
>> the user/dev split lists, has its own problems.
>
> The real problem is that of users being excluded from topics they should be
> aware of and to which they can make valuable contributions.

Lets not forget that anyone can subscribe to the dev list if they are
interested, so nobody is excluded from anything. Users that want to follow
detailed Qpid development can simply subscribe to dev.

The dev/user split is a common convention, I don't see why qpid would be
different from other projects in that regard. I subscribe to both lists and I
find the split useful to organize my reading.

I agree that user-facing changes should be discussed on the user list
(deprecated features, interface changes, new feature proposals etc.) and I agree
that cross posting should be avoided. I think its reasonable to assume that
developers will also follow the user list so they will be aware of discussions
there.

Cheers,
Alan.