qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: a request regarding crossposting
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:34:53 GMT
On 08/23/2013 11:28 AM, Justin Ross wrote:
> I'm in favor of having a single list for discussion, for users and
> developers; see [1].  I was simply pointing out that we're liable to
> leave out some people by sending messages only to the user list.
>
> Indeed, I think overloading the user list to be our general discussion
> list is going to be a source of confusion.  I've looked at how other
> Apache projects describe their user and dev lists, and none that I can
> find propose anything like this.
>
> Anyhow, the cross-posting problem is quite real.  I agree very much
> about that.  It's just that not cross posting, because we still have
> the user/dev split lists, has its own problems.

The real problem is that of users being excluded from topics they should
be aware of and to which they can make valuable contributions.

Having all conversations that may be relevant to users on the user list
solves this.

Anyone on the dev list worried about missing information can easily
subscribe to the user list. I think that is an entirely reasonable
expectation.

To me the dev list is for traffic of interest only to those maintaining
and evolving the code, and not to those using the code. In theory at
least I see a case for such a list. However I would also be perfectly
happy for it to be removed. That would be certainly be preferable to
either cross-posting (which merely gives the illusion of solving the
problem) or using the dev list to discuss issues that impact users.