qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: a request regarding crossposting
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:24:21 GMT
FWIW I totally agree with Gordon here.

If you subscribe so the thinking of Gregorio Robles paper

http://www.opensourcejahrbuch.de/download/jb2004/chapter_03/III-3-Robles.pdf

among other things he says:

"
Users should be treated as co-developers

    The users are treated like co-developers and so they should have
    access to the source code of the software. Furthermore users are
    encouraged to submit additions to the software, code fixes for the
    software, bug reports, documentation etc. Having more co-developers
    increases the rate at which the software evolves. Linus's law
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus%27s_law> states, "Given enough
    eyeballs all bugs are shallow." This means that if many users view
    the source code, they will eventually find all bugs and suggest how
    to fix them. Note that some users have advanced programming skills,
    and furthermore, each user's machine provides an additional testing
    environment. This new testing environment offers that ability to
    find and fix a new bug.

"
Not trying to be critical of Justin or anyone else here, just wanting to
voice my support for Gordon.

I for one rather like the philosophical/cultural aspects brought out in
that paper - it's worth a read.

Regards,
Frase