qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: RFQ 0.24: Two JIRAs
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:00:41 GMT
On 08/19/2013 04:39 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 04:20:01PM +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
>> On 08/19/2013 03:21 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>>> The fundamental issue is that, regardless of the dynamic language,
>>> properties aren't being encoded as UTF-8 at all.
>>
>> Even if, in Perl, they are being set as UTF8? Are you saying that
>> the existing test in the Perl bindings doesn't work (i.e. doesn't
>> actually allow you to chose between utf8 or binary)?
>
> What I'm saying is that, when the properties for Perl, Python and Ruby
> are sent to a Java receiver, the Java receiver doesn't see the
> properties (per the original JIRA).

The code for the perl binding has the following test:

   STRLEN len;
   char *ptr = SvPV(value, len);
   qpid::types::Variant v =  qpid::types::Variant(std::string(ptr,len));
   if (SvUTF8(value)) {
       v.setEncoding("utf8");
   }

I presume this is supposed to test whether the value passed in is UTF8
(this is before we have encoded it into the AMQP wire format).

So, my question is whether you are saying that the test above (i.e. the
if statement) does not in fact work for some reason as a way to
determine whether to encode as str or bin?