qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>
Subject qpid.periodic exchange type
Date Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:00:54 GMT
So, somebody asked me on IRC about delaying messages - sending a
message but not having it delivered for a while. We don't do that, so
I asked about their use case and they want to be able to put a bunch
of "do this" messages onto a queue and having them drip off slowly.

That would be quite messy to implement, so another (maybe more AMQP-y)
way of doing this might be to have a periodic exchange which you send
messages too and then it routes it onto another exchange (you must
specify another exchange on the X-Additional-Exchange) with the same
routing key. The exchange keeps a copy of the message, and sends a new
one to the same routing key and exchange at intervals specified in an
X-Period (float, hz) header.

There are apparently a few things that implement similar features,
like celery, that sit above AMQP but are a bit heavy if you just want
this. I'd like to get this into the Java broker for 0.7, I expect
it'll need a bit of iteration to get the interface right.

- Aidan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org