qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Shan Wang <Shan.W...@igindex.co.uk>
Subject RE: An ill borker brings down the whole cluster
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 21:41:42 GMT
Client side we are still using 0.4, I'm not sure about the exact version, should be last version
before 0.5.
Cluster side we are using 0.5.752581-26.el5.

Unfortunately I haven't got the environment to build qpid myself so I can't use latest trunk.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Trieloff [mailto:cctrieloff@redhat.com]
Sent: 03 November 2009 20:16
To: dev@qpid.apache.org
Cc: users@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Re: An ill borker brings down the whole cluster

Alan Conway wrote:
> On 11/03/2009 06:13 AM, Shan Wang wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> We have two qpid 0.5 brokers running in cluster mode on two different
>> boxes. The cluster works fine in normal cases, ie, if broker1 is
>> shutdown cleanly, broker2 will keep on serving clients. But today we
>> found one broker suddenly lost response to all connected clients and
>> admin tools. All producer and consumer clients are still connected
>> but failed to consume any messages from the queue. The command line
>> admin tool failed with a time out error. The only error message we
>> found is in the log of broker 1, which said this:
>> 2009-oct-31 10:17:49 error channel
>> error 157487219 on transport-busy:
>> Channel 1 already attached to guest@QPID.amq.failover676a76fa-56
>> 64-4e49-9bee-0538532fe261 (qpid/amqp_0_10/SessionHandler.cpp:150)
>> (unresolved: )
>> After only restarted broker 1, everything starts to work again. So
>> surprisingly it seems when one of the brokers in the cluster suffered
>> a problem, the whole cluster just stalled, at least from the
>> consumer's point of view ( I can't be sure if the producer was
>> working during the down time, after back to normal, consumer did
>> receive messages sent sometime ago ). Consumer program uses
>> FailoverManager and AsyncSession, basically not far from the failover
>> example in the qpid developing doc. So can anyone please tell me what
>> the above error message means and have we seen similar problems to
>> the cluster before?
> There have been a number of cluster bugs fixed since 0.5, some of
> which had the symptom of a "transport-busy" exception. Can you try a
> trunk build and see if you have the same problems?

or what distro and version of qpid are you running?

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the use of the addressee
only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose to others this message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender
by replying to this email or by telephone (+44 (0)20 7896 0011) and then delete the email
and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusions (etc.) that do not relate to the official business
of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. IG Index Ltd is a
company registered in England and Wales under number 01190902. VAT registration number 761
2978 07. Registered Office: Friars House, 157-168 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8EZ. Authorised
and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. FSA Register number 114059.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org