qpid-dev mailing list archives

From David Ingham <David.Ing...@microsoft.com>
Subject ApacheCon
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:10:31 GMT
A quick update on ApacheCon...

First was BarCamp. If you haven't heard of BarCamp, it works like this - the organizers provide
some basic infrastructure (rooms, projectors, etc.) but there is no program defined in advance.
The attendees turn up prepared to speak on some topic and then spend the first 30 minutes
of the day devising the schedule for the day. I gave a session on the challenges of enterprise
messaging in a heterogeneous environment, covering AMQP and Apache Qpid. It was a good session
with lots of discussion.
The slides are at: http://daveingham.typepad.com/publications/2009.11.03-ApacheCon-AMQP%26Qpid.pdf

Jonathan Robie stepped up and organized a Qpid meetup at very short notice. Unfortunately
there wasn't a big attendance due to the lack of advance notice. Jonathan and I reconvened
to the bar ;-)

On the Friday I presented again in a joint session with Kent Brown of Microsoft and Prabath
Siriwardena of WSO2. The title was "Interoperability Through Community" and covered Apache
Stonehenge and Apache Qpid. Stonehenge is an Incubator project focused on Web services interoperability.
They've built a real-world application, StockTrader, that demonstrates through code how to
achieve Web services interoperability between different Web services stacks. Today this includes
Microsoft, Spring Source, Sun and WSO2. I gave a pitch on AMQP and Apache Qpid as solutions
for building heterogeneous message-oriented middleware applications.
The slides are at: http://daveingham.typepad.com/publications/2009.11.04-ApacheCon-Stonehenge%26Qpid.pdf

Thanks,

Dave.