qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: An ill borker brings down the whole cluster
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:33:46 GMT

The main reason for setting heartbeat is to fail the client from one
node of the cluster to another faster + have the broker 'release' any
resources fro re-use associated with that session, for example
'exclusive' queues.

In connection settings:

    uint16_t heartbeat;
    /**
     * The maximum number of channels that the client will request for
     * use on this connection.
     */

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_MRG/1.1/html/MRG_Messaging_Qpid_C++_API_Reference/a00037.html
or
http://qpid.apache.org/docs/api/cpp/html/a00226.html

Carl.

Shan Wang wrote:
> Hmm...so what will happen if I don't set it? In the c++ API doc from redhat, there's
nowhere mentioning this heartbeat, I only get this from the qpid FAQ. I tested the cluster
by cleanly shutdown one broker while producing a lot of messages to a queue, the other broker
still works fine and no messages were lost.

most of the time, so I guess the default heartbeat interval is fine.

> By default heartbeats are not used for the c++ client. You must set the
> interval in ConnectionSettings to turn them on.

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org
>

> The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the use of the
addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the intended recipient, please
do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this message or any attachment. Please also notify
the sender by replying to this email or by telephone (+44 (0)20 7896 0011) and then delete
the email and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusions (etc.) that do not relate to the official
business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. IG Index
Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales under number 01190902. VAT registration number
761 2978 07. Registered Office: Friars House, 157-168 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8EZ. Authorised
and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. FSA Register number 114059.