qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [java] JProb
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:46:02 GMT
Arnaud Simon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been talking with the JProb people and even if they are not very
> much open source minded they agree to provide us with 5 free licenses.
> However, they will give us those licenses only under those conditions:
>
> 1.     Feature JProbe as the recommended profiling tool to the Apache
> Qpid project community, including but not limited to a link and banner
> on the acknowledgement page of the project site
> (http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/acknowledgement.html).
>
> 2.     To recommend JProbe as the preferred profiler of the Apache Qpid
> project through a joint case study.  Quest shall retain distribution
> rights of the article to be used in its marketing communications.
>
> 3.     To participate in joint marketing activities including one joint
> Webcast on how JProbe is being used to solve performance issues.  Quest
> shall retain distribution rights of the article to be used in its
> marketing communications.
>
> We already know that point 1. is acceptable. What do you think about 2
> and 3? They want use to co-author a case study (one of us is ok) and
> they also want one of us to participate to one webcast they'll organize
> end of this year. In exchange they would provide us 5 node-locked
> licenses of JProbe with 1 year updates/support for free.
>
> If we decide to accept this offer we will need to provide them with 5
> manes and the persons will need to fill and sign a license agreement.
>
> Please let me know what you think about that.

Just my opinion, but I think that the combination of recommending JProbe
as the 'preferred profiler' while only allowing 5 members of the project
   doesn't seem right. Using the project as a whole to get free licenses
(of non-free software) for some seems to somehow detract from the sense
of a united community.