qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Rupert Smith" <rupertlssm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: C++ M2 JIRAs
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 15:38:41 GMT
Your point about trying to make the coordinator not care too much about the
what the clients are doing is valid, and worth pursuing for the purpose of
making the coordinator abstract enough to be re-usable for different kinds
of tests. I think the coordinator as a whole does need to be aware of the
roles it assigns to test clients to ensure that it assigns receiver roles
before starting senders. This behaviour has been encapsulated in the
CoordinatingTestCase class.

The purpose of CoordinatingTestCase is to coordinate a two participant
sender/receiver test. I may pull an interface out of it add another
implementation the purpose of which is to coordinate a multi-client
performance test. This will consist of a group of 'senders' (which probably
also consume their own messages), spread over a set of test machines, and
the coordinator will be used to to run a distributed test using the test
machines to try and provide a better simulation of broker load with a large
number of connections. One limit of the current performance tests is that
they only run on a single client machine, limiting their scalability.
Performance tests have been run up to 1000 connections, but with that many
threads on the client machine, the overhead impacts the results obtained.

Should be able to do distributed performance testing with the current design
by only changing the coordinator to introduce a new kind of test case,
without making any changes to existing interop test clients.