qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Ritchie" <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C++ logging - anyone heard of pantheios?
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 07:36:13 GMT
On 03/05/07, Alan Conway <aconway@redhat.com> wrote:
> http://pantheios.sourceforge.net/ looks interesting. Doesn't have a wide
> selection of back-ends but appears to have a smarter front-end than
> most, lazy formatting of arguments giving a low overhead for disabled
> log statements without needing to wrap them in if (willBeLogged() {..}
>
> Anyone have experience/opinions?
>
> Alan.

Speaking from the java side and the efficiency of of log4j it often
happens that we forget to put the if(isLoggingLevelEnabled()) call in
to guard complicated log statements where a lot of string
concatenation or processing is done before the call.

While it would be nice to have a similar logging mechanism and process
across the implementations if pantheios has a smarter front-end that
avoids this evaluation when logging is disabled then perhaps this is a
good approach.

just my 2c

--
Martin Ritchie