qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject C++ unit tests, cppunit vs. Boost.Test
Date Thu, 10 May 2007 13:37:39 GMT
I'm considering dropping cppunit and converting the unit tests to boost
test. Nothing against cppunit, but since we depend on boost anyway it
would be one less dependency. Boost has all the features, and slightly
better test macros & templates.

The only thing boost lacks is a shared-library plugin framework. I used
to think this was a great thing but I fear I was blinded by technology.
On reflection a collection of separate executables that you can directly
run individually is actually *better* that a collection of shared libs
that you can run individually using the DllPluginTester tool!

If anyone has experiences to the contrary give a shout. I'm not doing it
right away, I'll try writing a couple of tests first to see how it goes
in practice.

Cheers,
Alan.