qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Proposed qpid logging API
Date Tue, 08 May 2007 22:19:40 GMT
I haven't found a logging solution that blows me away, rlog looks like
the easiest for me to integrate. I propose to integrated it under a
single-macro QPID_LOG API the following one-macro logging API which is
type safe (ostream based), and should be efficiently implementable over
any logging infrastructure that is capable of not evaluating the log
message if no log will be generated.

rlog will let us retrieve logs by level, by component (arbirary
collection of source files), by individual source file or combinations
thereof. It has stderr and syslog backends built in and can be extended.
It can be configured to include source file/line, thread ID, function
name in logs. If it lets us down long term, we should be able to replace
easily since only QPID_LOG macros will be widely distributed.

(rlog actually offers hierarchical channels beyond simple log levels,
deliberately ignored to increase portability to future log
infrastructures.)

Comments welcome but I'm implementing right away so speak up!

Cheers,
Alan.