qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Vinoski <vino...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Java Build Instructions - Trunk (M2+)
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 15:22:55 GMT

On Dec 4, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Monday 04 December 2006 03:59, Gordon Sim wrote:
>> Steve Vinoski wrote:
>>> Hi Gordon, I guess the issue here is that qpid-run is specifically
>>> intended to work within the layout of the installed package
>>> environment.
>>> We could
>>>
>>> 1. Write a new script to be used within your svn working copy,
>>> perhaps
>>> boiling the common parts of it and the qpid-run script into a
>>> separate
>>> file that each of them source so as to prevent scripting
>>> duplication.
>>>
>>> 2. Augment qpid-run so that it can also run within the svn
>>> working copy.
>>
>> My thought was that if there was an easy way to do it we could have a
>> task (or maven equivalent) that setup the installed package
>> layout. We
>> used to have this with the ant build.
>>
>> The benefit is that it easily allows the same scripts and config
>> files
>> to be used in development that will be used for an installed release.
>> That in turn makes it more likely that those artifacts are kept in
>> working order and have any wrinkles ironed out quickly.
>
> In the assembly (like bin.xml), you should just be able to change
> the "formats" section to read something like:
>
>   <formats>
>     <format>tar.gz</format>
>     <format>zip</format>
>     <format>dir</format>
>   </formats>
>
> I've never tried it though.   I'm not sure how well that works (or
> what then
> happens at install/deploy time for the dir).

Thanks Dan. Looks like there's a bug in assembly 2.1 that keeps this
from working [1]. It appears fixed with assembly 2.2-SNAPSHOT, but
using that version causes warnings elsewhere, which I think I can
fix. The result does produce a working copy under distribution/target/
qpid-1.0-incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT-java-bin.dir/qpid-1.0-incubating-M2-
SNAPSHOT, and if you set QPID_HOME to that and add $QPID_HOME/bin to
your PATH, then qpid-server works fine.

Gordon, Robert, everyone: shall we go with this approach then?

--steve

[1] <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-119>