provisionr-dev mailing list archives

From Andrei Savu <savu.and...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Whirr vs Provisionr
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 21:48:19 GMT
Hi Jason -

Maybe it will become Whirr NextGen someday but that's not my goal.

Provisionr is more like a Lego box now. It's fixing some shortcomings in
Whirr (plugin system, process persistence, dashboards etc.) but it's far
from being really useful out of the box.

You can do some awesome things if you integrate it with Rundeck and add a
fair amount of custom code as illustrated by the following videos (make
sure you also check the description links):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tJ4sHFWioA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHwyQgHSMvk

During the last release I've wrote a quick start guide that may be useful
to you:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PROVISIONR/Quick+Start+Guide

My focus in development is on making Provisionr useful for deploying large
Hadoop clusters based on the Cloudera distribution.

Regards,

-- Andrei Savu / axemblr.com

PS: I've CC-ed the dev@provisionr list because this reply may also be
useful to others