predictionio-user mailing list archives

From Shane Johnson <shanewaldenjohn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to increase maxResultSize with Spark 2.1.1
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2018 16:10:52 GMT
Thanks Donald. I used this command but am still getting this error. It
doesn't seem to be adjusting the configuration. Do you see a problem in how
I used the spark-submit options. The train function ran but the error makes
me think the sparkResultSize was not adjusted.

command:

bin/pio build --verbose; bin/pio train -- --driver-memory 14G -- --conf
spark.driver.max
ResultSize=4g; bin/pio deploy

error:

Job aborted due to stage failure: Total
size of serialized results of 8 tasks (1236.7 MB) is bigger than
spark.driver.maxResultSize (1024.0
MB)

Regarding the PAlgorithm, what I am trying to do is save a Map in the train
method to reuse in the predict method. Because of the error above I am not
able to convert my RDD to a map as the collectAsMap tries to bring it to
the driver. If I use the PAlgorithm, I should be able to just save the RDD
in the Model class and then use it in the predict method. I am going down
that path now. *Do you know of any templates that are using the PAlgorithm?*
The docs say that "Similar Product" uses it but it looks like it uses the
P2LAlgorithm.

Thank you for your help.

*Shane Johnson | 801.360.3350*
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/shanewjohnson> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/shane.johnson.71653>

> Hi Shane,
>
> I think what you are looking for to set max result size on the driver is
> by passing in a spark-submit argument that looks something like this:
>
> pio train ... -- --conf spark.driver.maxResultSize=4g ...
>
> Regarding PAlgorithm, the predict() method does not actually have the
> SparkContext in it (http://predictionio.apache.
> org/api/current/#org.apache.predictionio.controller.PAlgorithm). The
> "model" argument, unlike P2LAlgorithm, can contain RDDs. In
> PAlgorithm.predict(), you would be able to perform RDD operations directly
> on the model argument. If the SparkContext is needed, the context() method
> can be used on the model RDD.
>
> Hope these help.
>
> Regards,
> Donald
>
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM Shane Johnson <
> shanewaldenjohnson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi team,
>>
>> We have a specific use case where we are trying to save off a map from
>> the train function and reuse it in the predict function to increase our
>> predict function response time. I know the collect() forces everything to
>> the driver. We are collecting the RDD to a map as we don't have a spark
>> context in the predict function.
>>
>> I am getting this error and am looking for a way to adjust the parameter
>> from 1G to 4G+. I can see a way to do it in Spark 1.6 but we are using
>> Spark 2.1.1 and I have not seen the ability to set this. *Has anyone
>> been able to adjust the maxResultSize to something more than 1G?*
>>
>> Exception in thread "main" org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted due to stage
failure: Total size of serialized results of 7 tasks (1156.3 MB) is bigger than spark.driver.maxResultSize
(1024.0 MB)