predictionio-user mailing list archives

From Mars Hall <mars.h...@salesforce.com>
Subject Re: Universal Recommender and PredictionIO 0.12.0 incompatibility
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2017 22:19:35 GMT
Hi Pat,

On 4 October 2017 at 22:04, Pat Ferrel <pat@actionml.com> wrote:

> It looks like PIO 0.12.0 will require a code change in the UR. PIO changed
> ES1 support drastically when ES5 support was added and broke the UR code.
>
> We will do a quick fix to the template to address this. In the meantime
> stay on PIO 0.11.0 if you need the UR.

We dealt with these breaking Elasticsearch 5.x client changes in our fork
of the UR. I've tried to merge these changes back with the main UR source
tree, but the ES5 support was not already present so very difficult to pull
request. Anyway, we definitely slayed some dragons with the help of Donald
Szeto.

What we ended up with is a UR/EsClient that generates its own Elasticsearch
RestClient using the Storage config, instead of instantiating
PredictionIO's ESStorageClient. This solved a tangled mess of Apache HTTP
dependency version conflicts. If you'd like to see what is working well for
us (in production, under load), check out this [merged] PR to our fork:

https://github.com/heroku/predictionio-engine-ur/pull/7/files

It would be wonderful to have your main UR working with this ES5
capability. Let me know if you have questions about our approach,

--
*Mars Hall
415-818-7039