predictionio-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: PIO Template for User Label Inference
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2017 13:04:32 GMT
No the current separation of concerns is:
Recommender returns recommended item ids
User’s DB keeps all item metadata, much of which has nothing to do with data the recommender
needs.
The application queries the Recommenders for item-ids which are keys into the DB that retrieve
item metadata

If we were to make the Recommender the store of record for item metadata it would have to
keep a a lot of things it doesn’t use to drive things like UIs or things that it can’t
represent (it’s not a DB). This is generally better separated to something designed to be
a general purpose store.

That said, the metadata the IS put into the recommender is actually returned for each item
but stripped before returning. Fairly easy to change.