predictionio-user mailing list archives

From Mars Hall <m...@heroku.com>
Subject Re: Eventserver API in an Engine?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2017 16:37:01 GMT
> On Jul 10, 2017, at 18:03, Kenneth Chan <kenneth@apache.org> wrote:
>
> it's all same set of events collected for my application and i can create multiple engine
to use these data for different purpose.

Clear to me, ⬆️ this is the prevailing reasoning behind the "separateness" of the Eventserver.
I do not foresake this design goal, but ask that we consider the usability & durability
of PredictionIO when deploying multiple engines with different versions of PIO and different
storage configurations. This will probably happen for anyone who uses PredictionIO long-term
in production, as their new projects come on-line with newer & better versions & configurations.

I encounter this situation of needing separate PIO installs regularly when testing the next
release or development builds of PIO and when evaluating engine templates or algorithms that
require new, different storage configs. Also, those in the consulting world are frequently
required to keep client data separated for all kinds of privacy & legal reasons; with
the storage corruption bug I reported, one client's data could become visible to or intermingled
with another client's app.

In starting this thread, I was hoping to find some traction with the idea of making it possible
to completely self-contain a PredictionIO app by adding the Events API to the process started
with `pio deploy`.

Goal: Queries & Events APIs in the same process.

When considering the architecture of apps, sharing a database between two or more apps is
considered a very naughty way to get around having clear, clean, inter-process API's. My team
at Salesforce/Heroku has been struck by this exact issue with PredictionIO. So, I am seeking
a way to fix this without requiring a rewrite of PredictionIO. I am excited to hear about
the new architecture prototypes, yet our reality is that this is an issue now.

*Mars