predictionio-user mailing list archives

From Mars Hall <m...@heroku.com>
Subject Re: Kafka support as Event Store
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2017 18:24:23 GMT
Hello Thomas,

Kafka is not storage, it is fundamentally streaming logs with a limited retention window.

To work with PIO today, a Kafka consumer would need to be implemented to take messages and
transform/insert them into persistent PIO event storage, like Postgres or HBase.

As Donald asked, are you trying to build an engine with Spark Streaming? I'm curious about
how to do this too: both the PIO `predict` runtime for Spark Streaming and the [Kafka] events
stream consumer to push events into PIO.

*Mars

> On Jul 5, 2017, at 10:20, Donald Szeto <donald@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Supporting Kafka is definitely interesting and desirable. Are you looking to sinking
your Kafka messages to event store for batch processing, or stream processing directly from
Kafka? The latter would require more work because Apache PIO does not yet support streaming
properly.