predictionio-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: Kafka support as Event Store
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2017 14:32:48 GMT
The EventStore is queryable in flexible ways and so needs to have random access and indexing
of events. In short it needs to be backed by a DB.

There are ML algorithms that do not need stored events like online learners in the Kappa style.
But existing Templates and the PIO architecture do not support Kappa yet. So unless you are
developing your own Template you will find that Kafka will not fill all the requirements.

It is, however an excellent way to manage streams so I tend to see it as a source for events
and have seen it used as such.

To be more precise about why your method may not work is that not all events can be aged out.
The item property events in PIO $set, $unset, and $delete are embedded in the stream but are
only looked at in aggregate since they record a set of changes to an object. If you drop one
of these events the current state of the object can not be calculated with certainty.

To truly use a streaming model we have to introduce the idea of watermarks that snapshot state
in the stream so that any event can be dropped. This is how kappa learners work but for existing
Lambda learners is often not possible. Many of the Lambda learners can be converted but not
easily and not all.