predictionio-user mailing list archives

From Donald Szeto <don...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update default build targets
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2017 16:19:26 GMT
Unfortunately with OSS it is not easy to survey accurately the user base
unless we provide some sort of opt-in feedback (automatically or by putting
up a poll on the web site). We have many users who don't subscribe to
mailing lists.

I personally prefer updating source build defaults to a reasonably popular
combination. Note that this is independent from the process of deprecating
and eventually dropping support of old versions of dependencies.

I feel that the major common discomfort here is the fear that some
old/stable versions of dependencies may get dropped without notice, instead
of reluctance to support new technologies. If so, I would propose we agree
on a deprecation process and document it. To enforce it, I would suggest
including all reasonable combinations of dependencies in our automatic
builds. This also has a benefit that once we are cleared on releasing
binaries, we can roll them all out to make it convenient for our users.