predictionio-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: Eventserver API in an Engine?
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2017 17:22:44 GMT
Are you asking about the EventServer or PredictionServer? The EventServer is multi-tenant with
access keys, not really pure REST. We (ActionML) did a hack for a client to The PredictionServer
to allow Actors to respond on the same port for several engine queries. We used REST addressing
for this, which adds yet another id. This makes for one process for the EventServe and one
for the PredictionServer. Each responding engine was behind an Actor not a new process. So
it’s possible but IMO makes the API as a total rather messy. We also had to change the workflow
so metadata was read on `pio deploy` so one build could then deploy many times with different
engine.jsons and different PredictionServer endpoints for queries only. This comes pretty
close to clean multi-tenantcy but is not SaaS capable without solving SSL and Auth for both
services.

The hack was pretty ugly in the code and after doing that I concluded that a big chunk needed
a rewrite and hence the prototype. It depends on what you want but if you want SaaS I think
that mean SSL + Auth + multi-tenancy, and you also mention minimizing process boundaries.
There are rather many implications to this.