predictionio-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: Update default build targets
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2017 19:57:37 GMT
What is the policy driving dependency upgrades?

I don’t run hadoop 2.7 locally and many users that have Cloudera or Horton contracts may
not either. Not sure why this should be the default until it’s the most popular of we need
some feature of it.

I’d agree with most of what @Shinsuke suggests as long as there is an easy way to build
for any reasonable combination of deps.

The hard one will be Python 3. All existing python scripts in templates will need upgrading
since it’s very difficult to support mixed py2 and py3 where scala 2.10 and 2,11 are much
easier. I still think it’s time to do this but mention it because with each upgrade we need
to consider how may templates are left even further behind. Many now do not work with Apache
PIO, this may put them further behind.

Though we work on PIO we must remember that PIO does nothing interesting without templates
and ask ourselves what pain we may cause for template users.