predictionio-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: pio train error java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2017 19:46:50 GMT
Do you know an item is in NY? or are you trying to find what is preferred by New Yorkers?

If the latter send events (user-id, location-preference, location-id) as secondary events.
The location-id should be chosen to include some people but not too many so there is variation
in what New Yorkers prefer vs Las Vegas denizens. I’d use postal codes (zip codes) or phone
area codes for coarser granularity. The benefit of using these code-systems is that they are
never dups like 2 cities with the same name. Also lat-lon doesn’t work since not 2 people
can existing in such a fine grained location.

Once you determine the location encoding scheme you’ll use, determine how many possible
location-ids you’ll have. This should affect the param maxCorrelatorsPerItem described here:
http://actionml.com/docs/ur_config <http://actionml.com/docs/ur_config> Set it to a
number much smaller than the total number of location-ids you have. For instance if you were
using user gender you'd set this to 1 (actually this is an extreme and would use another method
but serves to illustrate)

BTW UR support is here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/actionml-user <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/actionml-user>