portals-pluto-user mailing list archives

From Bill Schneider <bschnei...@vecna.com>
Subject Re: deploying portlets to Pluto binary distribution
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 03:26:36 GMT
> Pluto is a good example of a portlet container which allows precisely
> that without leveraging any proprietary apis. Pluto *depends* upon the
> webapp being deployed as a standard web application.  It then uses the
> servlet api to invoke the portlets (using a cross context request
> dispatcher).

How widely supported is cross-context request dispatch?  I know it's
easy in Tomcat... but what about other containers?

If there were a good way to handle cross-context /method calls/, though,
this would be somewhat of a moot discussion, as I could then easily have
a separate portlet WAR that includes the interface JAR for my business
APIs, and fishes out the implementation from the other context where the
"real" app is deployed.

> A request to /portal/something may render content from /portal,
> /portalA, and /portalB concurrently.  Each of the requests to the
> portlet contexts would be rendered through a Pluto dispatch servlet,
> which in turn would invoke the actual javax.portlet.Portlet, which in
> turn would probably use some jsps, etc. . .In addtion, a client browser
> could just as easily request /portletAContext/someServlet and directly
> serve up content.
>
> Is that what you're asking to do?  If so, it's very legit and an example
> can actually be seen in the pluto TestSuite (see the External Scope
> Session Attribute Test).

yep, that's exactly it.  Thanks for the cogent explanation!

--
Bill Schneider
Chief Architect

Vecna Technologies, Inc.