portals-pluto-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Scott Nicklous <Scott.Nickl...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Goals for JSR 362
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2014 12:36:57 GMT

Hi,

I think I owe you more information about what we want to achieve with JSR
362 Portlet Specification 3.0. You can find the original bullet list of
goals here:

https://java.net/projects/portletspec3/pages/Home

So far, we have addressed three topics:

* JSR 286 Corrections and Errata
   A complete list of minor updates to the JSR 286 spec (along with some
not-so-minor updates) can be found in the portletspec3 Jira on Github:

   http://java.net/jira/browse/PORTLETSPEC3

   The changes for all of the resolved issues can be found in the JSR 362
API working document on Github. The changes are color-coded so that you can
easily see what has
   been changed.

   http://msnicklous.github.io/portletspec3/apidocs/index.html

* New PortletState APIs that will hopefully make portlet programming easier
since the class / method names match the intended semantics. The updated
API documentation reflecting these changes are available at the
above-mentioned link for the API working document. A PDF file containing
charts describing the concepts involved can be found here:

http://msnicklous.github.io/portletspec3/apidocs/doc-files/PortletState.pdf

* Added a JavaScript interface that portlets containing JavaScript code can
use to manage their state. The main push is to allow portlet actions and
public render parameter updates to be initiated by client-side code in a
manner that allows the portlet to remain in an Ajax rendering mode while
updating their state. The updated API documentation reflecting these
changes are available at the above-mentioned link for the API working
document. The JSDoc documentation fo the proposed JavaScript interface can
be found here:

   http://msnicklous.github.io/portletspec3/jsdoc/index.html

   A PDF file containing charts describing the concepts involved can be
found here:

https://java.net/projects/portletspec3/downloads/download/WorkingDocs/Ajax/JSR362AjaxSlides-3d.pdf

After having worked on these three main items, I think it would be good to
start implementing them at least in the form of prototypes. Parallel to
this effort, I will be working on an early review draft of the
specification addressing the changes brought in by these items. Once the
EDR is finished, additional issues will be addressed. I see the following
as the minimum list of items to be addressed in order to complete this
version of the specification:

* Allow portlets to share resources (particularly JavaScript and CSS files)
with one another
* Allow portlets to declare dependencies on external resources (such as
JavaScript libraries that might be provided by the portal)
* Align the portlet spec with the Servlet Specification 3.0 - support for
multi-part forms, asynch support, portlet fragments (pluggability,  like
web fragments), better configuration through annotations rather than only
through the portlet descriptor, etc
* Adhoc public render parameter definition - declare a parameter to be
public programmatically
* Adhoc event definitions - declare an event programmatically
* WebSocket support (if we find anything required for WebSocket support
that needs to be reflected in the spec)

If there is time / energy remaining, we might address additional topics.

I would be happy to host a web conference to present these topics, talk
about plans, answer questions, etc. Next week is 4th of July week and I
will be out, so a potential date for a web conference might be Thursday 10
July at 17:00 CET / 11:00 am Eastern. I'm flexible as to time (within
reason - I live in the German time zone, and would prefer not to present in
the middle of the night my time :-) ), so if there would be a better
alternative time/date I can adapt.

Please let me know if you are interested ... thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen, / Kind regards,
Scott Nicklous

WebSphere Portal Standardization Lead & Technology Consultant
Specification Lead, JSR 362 Portlet Specification 3.0
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz / Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294