portals-pluto-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Scott Nicklous <Scott.Nickl...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Where should portlet-api_3.0 & portlet-tck_3.0 live?
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2014 14:23:17 GMT

I have a question: we want to start working with the v3.0 TCK & API. So
far, these components are hosted on Github, but it seems to me like it
would be more convenient for Pluto development if we add these directories
to the Pluto base project directory. That way, developers would have the
code to build the 3.0 API themselves, and if you want to work on the TCK,
you can do so from within the Apache Pluto git repo. The resulting
directory structure would look like this:

The portlet-api_3.0 and portlet-tck_3.0 maven builds are currently
independent of one another. If I add these directories to Pluto, I would
leave the builds independent, at least for now.

The portlet-tck_3.0 directory in the Pluto repo would become the master for
the 3.0 TCK. In other words, moving forward, I would only make changes to
the Pluto version of those files.

However, for the time being, I would like to leave the master of the 3.0
API on Github for two reasons: I like the Github.io pages for displaying
the portlet API, and also because I have a (too) complicated local branch
structure based on the Github repo, that I don't want to try to reproduce
for the Pluto repo ... too much work, and too little bang for the buck. So
for the time being, we would have a single, more or less fixed copy of the
API on Pluto to develop against, but API changes that the expert group
agrees upon will initially go into the Github repo.

So my proposal would be to copy the following into the Pluto project from
the Github portletspec3 project:

The alternative would be to leave these items on Github for now, and Pluto
developers who want to work on the TCK would have to fork the Github
Portletspec3 project.

If you have objections / suggestions, it would be good if you could make
them known within the next couple of days, because I would like to carry
this out on Sunday evening before I leave on vacation for a week.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen, / Kind regards,
Scott Nicklous

WebSphere Portal Standardization Lead & Technology Consultant
Specification Lead, JSR 362 Portlet Specification 3.0
IBM Software Group, IBM Collaboration Solutions

Phone: +49-7031-16-4808 / E-Mail:scott.nicklous@de.ibm.com /  Schoenaicher
Str. 220, 71032 Boeblingen, Germany
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz / Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294

View raw message