portals-pluto-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Adding JSR-286 API jar to a Maven repository
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:57:05 GMT
The discussion we had some months ago. I have application logic that
needs to be exercised upon login. Currently I can do this through my
portal vendors extensions. I also have several portlets on a page that
need to use the same initialization. The only way to do this now is
extremely clumsy as each portlet has to do it and check that it hasn't
already been completed.  A better mechanism would have been to provide a
way to invoke a method when a page is accessed. We also have a
requirement to have our theme process some portlets differently than
others. Ideally, a portlet (and pages for that matter) should be able to
have attributes associated with them in the portlet.xml that the theme
can interrogate.

We also have to share attributes between portlets and several servlets.
Our current vendor supports this including in servlet filters in front
of the portal. I haven't read the spec in a draft or two, but I assume
sharing is still limited to shared render parameters. I have no idea why
this limitation exists. I heard something about it being not
implementable in all containers, but that doesn't make sense since the
portal we are using runs in virtually every container.

In short, the spec allows me to build fairly simple portlets but is
completely deficient in when it comes to building applications made up
of groups of related portlets.

Ralph