portals-pluto-dev mailing list archives

From "David H. DeWolf" <ddew...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Defining the release
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:28:24 GMT
Would you give us an overview of our options for the upcoming release?
There are several different approaches that Apache projects take.  Some,
like struts, create builds and then vote on their quality (Alpha, Beta, GA).
Other seem to define releases as "release candidates", have different naming
conventions and different processes.  Do we have a plan yet for our release
cycle?

Also, the word "release" can be confusing simply because often people assume
that means general availability.  IMHO we're not at the level yet and we
should definitely cut several 'release candidates', before publishing a full
general availability release.  In my mind, this upcoming "release" should be
put out as an alpha release, or snapshot, or whatever we want to call it.

The benefit of an alpha release is that people are able download an actual
release (as opposed to downloading through cvs).  This stabilizes their
experience and makes it a little easier to get involved.  The hope would be
that having a release of this type out would prompt more users to join the
community by using the application and providing feedback.

David