From "Andrew Strickland" <stric...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Portlets with Forms and Communication to with a database
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:44:19 GMT
Don't have time to post examples but...

Using a form on the edit page shouldn't be any different than using a
form on the view or help page.  I've done it and there's really
nothing exceptional.  Just handle the form submission in your
portlet's processAction method.

You can put a hidden input into your form with a name like "action"
and give it a value of "edit" or "save" so that you can differentiate
between which portlet page the submission is coming from.  There might
be better ways to do that but this way is easy and simple.

The way I use the edit page is as the page that can modify the portlet
preferences.  So any form submission from the edit page is a change to
a preference which the portlet then makes use of  Jetspeed's
preference database to store.

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Dan Olsen <danrolsen@utah.gov> wrote:
> Does anyone know of any example portlets that use forms in the Edit window state and
the new information from the form is then stored in a database? I need to do this for my project
and I'm looking for some best practices on how to do this.