From "Serkan Camurcuoglu" <Serkan.Camurcuo...@telenity.com>
Subject Developing a custom login module
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:09:41 GMT
Hi all,
I'm trying to make Jetspeed use another user database in addition to its ordinary user database
(I'm using Jetspeed 2.1.3 installed on a MySQL database). This database will contain a large
number of users that are allowed to log on to the portal with the portal-user role. This database
is an external database which has a fixed structure, I cannot change it. The original user
database of Jetspeed will be used for privileged users such as admin. Here are some more points:

- If possible, I don't want my custom authentication/authorization code to depend on Jetspeed's
security classes, I want it to be JAAS compatible
- I've tried developing a custom JAAS login module and plugging it in using login.conf, but
I think that's not enough
- I've also tried extending DefaultUserSecurityHandler and DefaultCredentialHandler, but I
think I have to do some more because it seems like my users are not authorized to view the
pages that other users can see
- How are portlet preferences affected in this case? Will Jetspeed save my users' portlet
preferences in its own database automatically, or will I also need to implement preference
storage myself?

I would like to learn the best approach to accomplish this task. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance..

SerkanC