From "Dan Olsen" <danrol...@utah.gov>
Subject Re: Portlets with Forms and Communication with a database
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:33:53 GMT
I do want to connect to Jetspeed's database.

>>> "Andrew Strickland" <strickla@gmail.com> 4/18/2008 3:20 PM >>>
My guess is that is Jetspeed's database connection and therefore not
the one you want to use.  Jetspeed can be configured to store data a
number of ways including in an embedded Derby database (flat files).
You'll want to declare your own JNDI database connection in
{tomcat_dir}/conf/Catalina/conf/context.xml.

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Dan Olsen <danrolsen@utah.gov> wrote:
> I see that Jetspeed created a jetspeed.xml file in {tomcat_dir}/conf/Catalina/localhost/jetspeed.xml.
This looks like it declares a the resource for a JNDI connection. However when I try to access
it I get the error:

>  javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name jdbc is not bound in this Context.
>
>  How can I get Tomcat to pick up that jetspeed.xml context file? I figure if that file
is put there by Jetspeed then it should be accessible and I should be able to access the JNDI
connection.

>  >>> "Andrew Strickland" <strickla@gmail.com> 4/18/2008 1:55 PM >>>
>

> This can be done a number of ways in Java.  Depending on the web
>  server you're using you might even be able to configure this there.
>  For instance, Weblogic allows you to create and configure JNDI
>  connection pools through it's web console.  Your code then only ever
>  needs to reference the JNDI name to lookup the connection pool.  All
>  other database connection info is handled by the JNDI connection pool
>  within Weblogic.  Thus giving you the single point of configuration /
>  maintenance you would like.
>
>  Alternatively you can configure your database connection using
>  Spring...referencing your connection through beans and such.  I'm not
>  that familiar with this option.  Spring has it's own set of XML
>  configuration files you'd need to define the JNDI and connection pool
>  info in.
>
>  Tomcat allows you to define a JNDI database connection in the
>  context.xml file.  The implementation is much the same as Weblogic
>  where you look up the connection using the JNDI name but Tomcat has no
>  web console to configure this for you, you do it by hand in the
>  context.xml file.
>
>  On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Dan Olsen <danrolsen@utah.gov> wrote:
>  > How about when talking to the database? All the portlets will be talking to the
same database and I don't want to have to change all the portlets code to point to the new
production database. Is there a way I can define the database properties and use that and
make it so I only have to update the database information in one place? Something like a preferences
file?
>  >
>  >  I'm new to Java web programming so I'm not sure how this is all done. I know with
PHP I could just have a config file where I can read the information from. I'd like to do
something like that in Java with my portlets.
>  >
>  >  >>> "Andrew Strickland" <strickla@gmail.com> 4/18/2008 1:44 PM
>>>
>  >  Don't have time to post examples but...
>  >
>  >  Using a form on the edit page shouldn't be any different than using a
>  >  form on the view or help page.  I've done it and there's really
>  >  nothing exceptional.  Just handle the form submission in your
>  >  portlet's processAction method.
>  >
>  >  You can put a hidden input into your form with a name like "action"
>  >  and give it a value of "edit" or "save" so that you can differentiate
>  >  between which portlet page the submission is coming from.  There might
>  >  be better ways to do that but this way is easy and simple.
>  >
>  >  The way I use the edit page is as the page that can modify the portlet
>  >  preferences.  So any form submission from the edit page is a change to
>  >  a preference which the portlet then makes use of  Jetspeed's
>  >  preference database to store.
>  >
>  >  On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Dan Olsen <danrolsen@utah.gov> wrote:
>  >  > Does anyone know of any example portlets that use forms in the Edit window
state and the new information from the form is then stored in a database? I need to do this
for my project and I'm looking for some best practices on how to do this.