From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: Default Portlet State
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:29:37 GMT
Correct, this is a portlet api (1.0) "limitation" and not every easy to overcome without some
nasty hacking within the
core of Jetspeed (and Pluto), which of course won't be "portable" at all.

With regards to portlet api 2.0, yes there is potential support for this.
But it concerns using and handling some of the predefined container events (PLT.15.3) which
are not required to be
supported. So, it depends on the container if/how these events are fired/delivered.
Rest assured though, Jetspeed definitely *will* support these events once we provide our JSR-286
implementation.

Ate

Andrew Strickland wrote:
> It's not just Jetspeed...it's a Portlet 1.0 spec issue.  All portlet
> containers (of which Jetspeed, or rather Pluto is one) have this
> issue.  And you're right, I forgot again that the ActionResponse is
> the only object with the setWindowState method.  I just don't think
> this is really possible at this time.  Perhaps Portlet spec 2.0 may
> address this...I haven't looked at it.
>
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Dan Olsen <danrolsen@utah.gov> wrote:
>> Another thing I noticed was that the only function I found that could be used to
change the window state is in the ActionResponse object which I can only get to when an action
occurs. I'm not sure how I would do it when the window originally renders after a user logs
in.

>>  I am amazed that there is not an easy way to set a default window state in Jetspeed.
>>
>>  >>> John Lewis <jlewis@unicon.net> 4/17/2008 11:42 AM >>>
>>

>> I'm not sure this is a good solution to what Dan is trying to achieve.
>>  Wouldn't this only present the portlet minimized for the first render
>>  request from the first user after the portal is started?  Not only would
>>  the portlet unminimize itself on the second render request (even if the
>>  user hasn't interacted with the portlet), it would only do that for the
>>  first user since the Portlet is shared by all users.  I am assuming Dan
>>  wants it to be minimized for all users until they interact with the portlet.
>>

>>  Andrew Strickland wrote:
>>  > He means default to minizmized window state.  I've tried to answer this
>>  > question twice before...I believe the best possible solution is:
>>  >
>>  > 1) add an init parameter to your portlet.xml like "firstView" and set it to
>>  > true.  In your portlet class's doRender method check the value of the
>>  > initParmater.  If it's true, set window state to minimized and render...if
>>  > it's false then do nothing to window state and render.
>>  >
>>  > Andy
>>  >
>>  > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 7:11 PM, David Sean Taylor <david@bluesunrise.com>
>>  > wrote:
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >> On Apr 14, 2008, at 2:56 PM, Dan Olsen wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >>  ** High Priority **
>>  >>
>>  >>> I am still not sure how to default all portlets to closed when a user
>>  >>> logs in. I have a demo coming up to show the client what I have done
so far
>>  >>> and we would really like to have the portlets defaulting to closed.
Can