From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Maven error in tutorial
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:46:28 GMT
Get the Eclipse plug-in for Maven.
Read up on Maven.
It is a very nice way to run a project in Eclipse.
It can not do anything that Ant can not do but it does a lot of what Ant
can do without you having to write anything.

It is a different way to approach things but is very nice once you get
it set up.
The Maven documentation is abysmal. It is sparse, written from a totally
useless point of view and you have to read between the lines to make any
sense of it. If they had decent docs, it would be universally used for
any project with more than 2 developers.
On the bright side, once you have a POM file set up or given to you, you
usually do not have much contact with Maven until you start to add new
dependencies to your project and they go in pretty well.

The worst thing about Maven and Eclipse is that Eclipse has to be told
about your dependencies manually in order to do syntax highlighting. You
need to add each of the dependencies in your Maven POM to your build
path. If not, your code will be lit up like a Xmas tree and still compile.
Not a big deal but the Plug-in should deal with this. (Maybe it does and
I have not found the right place to poke it - Eclipse is a great IDE but
takes a long time to get good at it.)

Ron

benethridge@charter.net wrote:
> Thanks. So as to not waste any more of your time, sounds like I should drop this tutorial
and shift to the maven tutorial, as per David Taylor.