From <benethri...@charter.net>
Subject Re: Am I missing something or are the tutorials broken?
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Thanks for the help.

Reading over your (and Aram's) thread replies, and then going back through the start of the
tutorial, I think I was just missing a zip file: resources.zip.

Here is the essential probem:

This page:

http://portals.apache.org/tutorials/jetspeed-2-ant/01/first-steps.html

...takes you to this download dir:

http://people.apache.org/~taylor/tutorial/

...and one would have to assume that one would need to download ALL the zip files....

...but this link in the next paragraph in the tutorial:

http://portals.apache.org/tutorials/jetspeed-2-ant/references/tutorial_distribution.html

...does not mention resources.zip, so a lot of programmers will naturally assume that resources.zip
is not needed.

A quick fix would be to add resources.zip to the "Tutorial Distribution Kit" page.

I would be happy to do this myself, if I knew the logistics for making contributions to apache,
which I've never done before. Is it simple?

Ben

---- Niels van Kampenhout <n.vankampenhout@onehippo.com> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> benethridge@charter.net wrote:
> > Hi.  I'm new to Jetspeed, but not to open source or java programming.
> >
> > Walking through the tutorials, they appear to be broken, in that the directories
stated in the tutorials are not in any of the zip files I've downloaded so far.

> > By searching the directories in the zip files, and finding what appear to be the
desired directories and files, I was able to get pretty far into the Eclipse/Ant tutorial,
but then I got stopped when it wanted me to use maven...which wasn't in the initial prerequisites:

> > http://portals.apache.org/tutorials/jetspeed-2-ant/
> >
> > So, I downloaded maven and shifted over to the maven-based tutorial, but I could
find no equivalent for the directories stated in the tutorial.