From Murthy Gandikota <mgandik...@membersedgellc.com>
Subject RE: Can there be 2 renderer portlets in one view?
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:17:54 GMT
Murthy Gandikota wrote:
> I have tried to create two portlets that have their own GUI to co-exist in the same view
without success. I am using Jetspeed 2.1.2 with Tomcat on Redhat Linux. I have 2 portlets:
ChangeCasePortlet and echo. They both come with a GUI. I am able to see them one at a time
by reordering them in the portlet.xml but not both together. I get the error "Cannot retrieve
the definition". Does it mean what it means? Is there another way? How can the default page
show multiple portlets? I'd appreciate any help. Here is my portlet.xml

id="jpetstore" version="1.0" xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/portlet/portlet-app_1_0.xsd
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/portlet/portlet-app_1_0.xsd">
>   <portlet id="echo">
>     <portlet-name>echo</portlet-name>
>     <display-name>Echo Portlet</display-name>
>     <portlet-class>echo</portlet-class>
>     <supports>
>       <mime-type>text/html</mime-type>
>       <portlet-mode>view</portlet-mode>
>       <portlet-mode>render</portlet-mode>
>     </supports>
>     <portlet-info>
>       <title>Echo Case</title>
>     </portlet-info>
>     <init-param>
>       <param-name>jspView</param-name>
>       <param-value>/jsp/hello.jsp</param-value>
>     </init-param>
>   </portlet>
>   <portlet id="ChangeCasePortlet">
>     <portlet-name>ChangeCasePortlet</portlet-name>
>     <display-name>Change Case Portlet</display-name>
>     <portlet-class>ChangeCasePortlet</portlet-class>
>     <supports>
>       <mime-type>text/html</mime-type>
>       <portlet-mode>view</portlet-mode>
>       <portlet-mode>render</portlet-mode>
>     </supports>
>     <portlet-info>
>       <title>Change Case</title>
>     </portlet-info>
>     <init-param>
>       <param-name>jspView</param-name>
>       <param-value>/jsp/hello.jsp</param-value>
>     </init-param>
>   </portlet>
> </portlet-app>

For those following this thread, I am glad to report that by taking out the <portlet-mode>
render </portlet-mode> tags out of one of the portlets (see above), the portlets were
displayed in the portal  as expected. Since the portlets in my case hand only doView and processAction
methods there was no loss of functionality. I don't know why it works that way, but that was
the solution.
Best
Murthy