From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Jetspeed 2.1.3 release end game
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:20:28 GMT
Dear community,

Since September I myself as well a some other committers have hinted at an imminent release
of Jetspeed 2.1.3, shooting for end of October the latest.
Well, we're now into November already and we're still not ready yet  :(

I really, really, would have liked to have the 2.1.3 release available at the ApacheCon US
in Atlanta next week but that isn't realistic anymore either.

I think we MUST constrain ourselves to make this release happen ASAP.

The development of the new Jetspeed 2.2 in the trunk has already been severely delayed because
of our work on the 2.1.3 branch, and keeping these two trees in
sync also is taking too much valuable time away.

We really need to continue and finish the new Maven 2 build in the trunk and provide proper
migration paths for the current Maven 1 and the "old" Maven 2 build
environment users of the 2.1.3 version. Only AFTER that we should continue working on new
features in my opinion.

If anyone feels different about this please speak up, but my intention is to vote down ANY
further new feature development for the 2.1.3 branch from now on and
schedule all new feature requests to the 2.2 release or even thereafter if need be.

My goal for the 2.1.3 end game is getting it ready for release in the first week of December
the latest.
We can use all the help from both the active and not so active committers and from all the
active users too: testing, code and documentation patches, etc.

So I'm calling out to the whole of our community: please help out to make this happen, and
if you have an important feature/enhancement request, realize that by
planning this for *after* the 2.1.3 release you will help too!

Blocking or serious bugs of course will have to be addressed for 2.1.3, but minor bugs or
issues for which acceptable workarounds exists probably will have to
be postponed to 2.2 as well.

Regards,

Ate