From Mansour <mansou...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: portlet entity Editor
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 01:13:24 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2007, at 7:39 AM, Mansour wrote:
>
>> David Sean Taylor wrote:

>>> The entity editor was an early experiment in the Jetspeed XML API, I
>>> think we never really completed it

>>> With the portlet customizer. Select the "Add Portlet" button and add
>>> a instance to a page

>>> That has to be done by editing XML currently. Woonsan is working on
>>> an configure mode 2.1.3 which will handle this requirement
>>> You may want to double check with him though

>>> Go into edit mode, press the X for the portlet you want to delete
>> I do not mean delete an entity from the page only. I mean remove it
>> totally. Even if you remove if from the page as an admin. I t will be
>> removed fro all users. The entity will be there but not showing on
>> any page. Again, this is can be seen through the entity editor.
>>>

> I just think that the entity editor can get way out of hand for large
> systems, and where it may be a good debug tool, I usually just go to
> MySQL to query this kind of info
> Its still not clear to me why you need to manipulate entities at this
> low level. If you could better explain your use case, then I can
> better help you

I will give you an example of the use case for this. I have a reporting
portlet. This portlet (entity or portlet instance) is to pull and
display data from a customizable connection string. Users for group A
connect to DB A. Users in group B can pull data only form DB B. Users in
A and B have the choice to display or to hide this reporting portlet but
they cannot edit or customize the connection string. There's a system
Admin for group A called adminA and for B called adminB. The system
administrators can set this connection string and will revoke the
permission to edit this portlet from the groups. The system admins do
not and should not know anything about how to set permissions through
"PSML" (it's JS2 specific and not a standard like jsp). IF a portlet is
not used by any one then entity (instance) can be deleted from the DB by
the admin.

I hope this explains what I need to do. I am in the early stages of
designing my application, all I need to know is if this is possible or
not. If yes, then how?