From Philip Mark Donaghy <philip.dona...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Portlets and stateful protocol
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 01:07:01 GMT
On 1/24/06, Michael Gustav Simon <mgsimon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hallo j2-Users,
> a portlet is presented in the vm once (singleton).
> HTTP is stateless, singleton is a good idea, but ...
> How do I can realize a portlet, if i need a stateful protocol like for a
> chat?

Hi, I guess that you might need a good rich client library so that
your chat could be developed using AJAX. Where your browser requests
conversations from the server and the browser does not change pages.
This may work but chat usually uses a peer to peer mechanism.
Otherwise the Portlet itself is like a servlet. They are thread safe
if programmed correctly. As with servlets, portlets can maintain state
using session attributes.

--
Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy