From Jacek Wiƛlicki <jacek.wisli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Retrieving a portlet's unique instance ID..
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 03:54:26 GMT
Wiadomosc od David Sean Taylor z 2006-01-25 03:43 brzmiala:

>>> A portlet isn't really supposed to know about its 'unique id' as that
>>> is an implementation detail of the portal.
>> However, when I managed to get the current fragment ID, I was able to
>> create a universal portlet class whose behaviour, displayed contents
>> and some security features are determined by some data stored in the
>> database (fragment preferences were not enough for storing large
>> amounts of data).
> What if you stored a unique key in the preference, say "content-id"
> This unique is portlet instance specific.
>  From there, you can map to your large amounts of data
But adding a preference is a manual process AFAIK and would require
switching between different J2 admin applications when adding new
fragments, not to mention possible human mistakes in typing the
preference name, value and holding its uniqueness. Unless some
modifications are done to portal mechanisms and the process becomes
human-independent.

Furthermore, here the preference value would be just another unique ID
(could have just the same value as the fragment ID). Is there a reason
why you don't like such a solution other than portal and portlet logic
assumptions?

>>> If you want to write portlets specific to Jetspeed-2, have a look at
>>> the j2-admin app which accesses portal services in the
>>> jetspeed-portlet.xml
>> By the way, is the bug concerning service access fixed?
> You mean this one:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-464
> I'll try to get a look at it tonight
Thanks :)