From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: a problem with servlet url mapping , a complex problem for mapping servlet to fit portal url prefix.
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:27:39 GMT
Legolas Woodland wrote:
> a problem with servlet url mapping ,  a complex problem.
>
> Hi
> Thank you for reading my post.
> My problem is about using a Chart library which works well in jsf
> application
> but it does not works in JSF portlets.
> I think i find the problem but i do not know the solution.
> to use this charting library we should add a servlet to web.xml
>
> something like :
> [code]
>
>  <servlet>
>    <servlet-name>Jenia internal servlet</servlet-name>
>    <servlet-class>org.jenia.faces.util.Servlet</servlet-class>
>    <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
> </servlet>
> <servlet-mapping>
>    <servlet-name>Jenia internal servlet</servlet-name>
>    <url-pattern>/jenia4faces/*</url-pattern>
> </servlet-mapping>
>
> [/code]
>

> so , when we try to load a chart , it will make the chart image source
> something like :
>
> http://localhost:28080/Adv/jenia4faces/chart/OAReport.jspBarChart3d_id0.png
>

> in the above sample , adv is the name of web application which is
> deployed in a servlet container.
> and filter applied to make the chart render-able.
>

> [b]to use the chart library in jsf portlet , i add the servlet
> description as i did for web application , so i add[/b]
>
> [code]
>
>  <servlet>
>    <servlet-name>Jenia internal servlet</servlet-name>
>    <servlet-class>org.jenia.faces.util.Servlet</servlet-class>
>    <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
> </servlet>
> <servlet-mapping>
>    <servlet-name>Jenia internal servlet</servlet-name>
>    <url-pattern>/jenia4faces/*</url-pattern>
> </servlet-mapping>
>
> [/code]
>
> to my portlet web.xml file.
>
> when we have portlet , the url to access that portlet (which indeed is a
> web application) changes
> for example url for a sample portlet with same web application name
> will be like
> http://localhost:28080/pluto/portal/Adv/
>
> as you can see there are some prefix to web application name in the url
> , but when i use chart component to show
> same chart , it still look for the chart in url like :
>
> http://localhost:28080/Adv/jenia4faces/chart/OAReport.jspBarChart3d_id0.png
>

> As you may already sugest , the image will not render because browser is
> looking in  wrong place.
> now i think if i find some way to map that servlet to correct url
> pattern it will works.
>
> my question is :
> 1-what will be new servlet url pattern ?
> 2-is my assumption correct ?
>

> Thank you very much for reading such a long post

The problem is that portlet URLs always must go back to the portal
The solution is usually provided by the library, such as with
DisplayTags, providing a nice abstraction for URL generation:

http://displaytag.sourceforge.net/11/portlet.html

or, by tools that try to make servlet applications run 'tranparently' in
portlets. One such tool is Apache Portals Bridges:

http://portals.apache.org/bridges/