From Jonathan Hawkins <jonathan.hawk...@hawkinsweb.co.uk>
Subject Re: Jetspeed questions
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:12:06 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> jonathan.hawkins@hawkinsweb.co.uk wrote:
>
>> 1. (Jetspeed 1.6) Created a user and assigned User,Admin and Guest Role.
>> Customise buttons available on portlets etc. Removed the User and
>> Admin role
>> logged out and back in, user was still able to customise even though
>> Guest
>> Role does not have customise permission.
>>
> Im guessing that the cascade delete options for your particular
> database are not set correctly.
>
> In JetspeedSecurity.properties:
>
> services.JetspeedSecurity.programmatic.cascade.delete=false
>
> try setting this to true for Hypersonic
>
>> 2. (Jetspeed 1.6) Created a new Security ID, applied this to one of our
>> portlets, when I was returned to the home page, the portlet that had
>> had the
>> security id applied to it had dissappeared.
>>
> Hard to say without seeing your security constraint and PSML ...
>
>> 3. (Jetspeed 1.6) Is it possible to stop the same user logging on
>> concurrently using multiple browsers or PC's
>

> For starters, override the Login and Logout modules in TR.p
>
> action.login=JLoginUser
> action.logout=JLogoutUser
>
> you will need to track users as they login and logout, and also handle
> session timeouts. Although its tricky because if someone closes a
> browser, the server has no way of knowing.
>

>> 4. (Jetspeed 1.6) When you delete a user, their PSML files remain
>> intact in
>> the file system. Can this be changed so that the files are removed
>> and when
>> a user is re-created the inherit the current turbine user config.
>>

> Depends how you delete the user.
> Using the admin portlet, it should delete the PSML in a tx
> This might fail if you have a lock on the directory or PSML file for
> example

Does J2 store PSML info etc in the database by default, if not, is it
possible. Using J1.6 I have made numerous attempts to get database
storage working using Oracle but with no success, any assistance on that
one appreciated.

>> 5. (Jetspeed 2.0) Created a new pane on user's home page, how can I thne
>> delete it ?
>>
> Yes. The Site Manager administrative portlet is currently the only way
> to do this. We are working on a new improved customizer for 2.1
>
>> 6. (Jetspeed 2.0)  In 1.6 it is possible to create panes within
>> panes, can't
>> find a way to do this in 2.0.
>

> You can do this with menus.
> Here is an example of a two tier menu defined in your root
> folder.metadata:
>
>  <menu name="root-level-menu" regexp="true" options="/*.psml,/*/"/>
>
>  <menu name="cwd-level-menu">
>    <options regexp="true">./*/,./*.psml</options>
>    <exclude>root-level-menu</exclude>
>  </menu>

Is this possible using an admin portlet or is this added by hand ? Our
users are given the flexibility to arrange their portal as they see fit
for their purpose, the interface has to be inuitive, if they can't
achieve something simple then acceptance of the portal is far harder to
achieve !

>> Currently in the process of finalising a gap analysis between 1.6 and
>> see if moving to 2.0 is viable so any assistance would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
> This might help, but more from an architectual POV. I wrote a document
> comparing my design intent in 2.0 vs the things I was frustrated with
> in 1.x:
>
> http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/j1-users.html

Thanks for that, extremely useful.